A thesis is classified as a type of paper for enrolment purposes. A thesis code is equivalent to a paper code and shows that you are undertaking a long dissertation based on original research.

A thesis code is made up of:

  • A four-letter subject code e.g. HIST for History
  • A number to show the level of study e.g. 5 for Master's or 9 for PhD
  • Letters to show the period of enrolment within an academic year e.g.
    • F = full-time, full-year
    • H = part-time, full-year
    • FH = full-time, part-year (first or second half of the year)
    • HQ = part-time, part-year (first or second half of the year)

So if you were completing a Master's thesis in History, studying part-time for part of a year, your thesis code would be HIST5HQ.

A few courses do not follow this standard pattern and may start with a different number (e.g. 8 instead of 5 for postgraduate Medicine courses) and/or use different letters (e.g. AF, AH, or AQ).

Course enrolment

During course enrolment, thesis codes can be added in the paper selection page of eVision for all programmes except PhD, EdD, and DMA, which are added on behalf of students by University staff.

Enrolment periods for thesis codes are normally noted as T periods (rather than FY, S1, S2). The T codes cover a longer period than the standard University semester:

  • TY is full year (covering the period 1 Jan–31 Dec)
  • T1 is first half of the year (covering the period 1 Jan–30 June)
  • T2 is second half of the year (covering the period 1 July–31 Dec)

What period to use when enrolling for the first year of your thesis:

  • Students with a thesis start day in the first half of the year (prior to July) should enrol for the TY period
  • Students who intend to submit on or before 30 June should enrol for the T1 period
  • Students who intend to submit after 30 June should enrol for the TY period

If you wish to re-enrol using a thesis code which you have previously enrolled in you will need to request Special Permission to have the thesis code added.

Special Permission

Changes during the year

Students who enrol in a T1 period who continue their thesis study in the second half of the year will need to request their thesis enrolment is updated via a Change of Course.

Students continuing study with no changes to their full/part-time status will have their code updated to a TY code (i.e. the T1 code will be deleted and the TY code will be added).

Students changing from full-time to part-time (or vice-versa) will have the relevant T2 code will be added, and retain their T1 code.

If you're unsure which thesis code you should be using, please contact your supervisor or the Divisional Office.

Last updated 23/02/2022 10.00 AM

Did this answer your question?