To access the automatic reply settings for your University student or staff email account in Outlook.com:
- Go to outlook.office.com/mail.
- Sign in using your University email address and password.
- If you are a staff member, you may need to enter your address in the format of firstname.lastname@example.org
- In the top right-hand corner, click the cog (Settings) icon next to your name, then enter "automatic replies" into the search box and click the search result.
The Automatic replies settings window should now pop up. Here you can:
- Turn automatic replies on or off, and set the time period replies will be sent if required
- Choose who to send the automatic reply to (this may be only other University of Otago email addresses or external ones as well)
- Add the message/s for the automatic reply:
- If you want your automatic reply to be sent to both University of Otago and external addresses, you will need to add the message to both message boxes
- You may also choose to send one message to University of Otago email addresses, and a different message to external addresses
When you are creating your message, you may wish to include:
- The dates you are away for, if applicable
- If the email will be read or forwarded, so that the sender can resend the email to a different address if they wish to
- Your personal contact details, such as email and/or phone number
- An alternate University of Otago contact email and/or phone number
If you have any questions about setting up automatic replies in Outlook.com, please contact AskOtago:
Tel +64 3 479 7000 or 0800 80 80 98