ExamSoft digital exams use a tool called "ExamID" to verify students' identities for secure exams. The use of ExamID requires a camera and microphone. See the related answer: Computer/internet suitability for digital exams for more information about this.
I don’t have a camera/I have a problem with my camera
The papers that will be using this software for Semester 2 2021 final exams are: BIOC 192, HUBS 192, POPH 192, ACCT 222, ACCT 307, ACCT 310, ACTP 312, ACTP 412, and BLAW 212.
If you are doing one of these papers and didn't realise you would require a camera, or you are having a problem with your computer camera, please contact AskOtago:
If you are having trouble taking a photo for your baseline photo — this is the one that will be used to compare with the photo the software takes of you just before every exam — try the following troubleshooting steps:
- Confirm that you are using at least version 2.4.6 of Examplify (note that Examplify updates frequently so you may be required to update to the latest version as soon as you open it). You can see the current version by following the steps below:
Windows: Click the Windows button > Add or Remove Programs or Apps & Features. Locate Examplify in this list, click on it and the version number will appear underneath.
macOS: Select Examplify next to the Apple icon > About Examplify to see the version number
- Check that you can see ExamID on the dashboard for your exam in Examplify. If you can't, see the Clear registration section below.
- Make sure you don't have anything covering the webcam on your desktop or laptop computer.
- Sit in a well-lit area with the light on your face brighter than the light behind you. Tips: have a light on, increase the brightness on your computer, and don't have your back to a window that creates shadows on your face.
Don’t see the ExamID and/or ExamMonitor tiles in Examplify
There are three main reasons why this may happen:
- You are using an old version of Examplify that does not support the ExamID and ExamMonitor functionality. See the related answer:
Uninstalling and reinstalling Examplify
If you have trouble with this process, please contact AskOtago.
- You are using an iPad. iPads are not supported for ExamSoft/Examplify digital exams and you will need to use a laptop or desktop computer to take your exams.
- You have been identified as a "lab user" in the ExamSoft system. Please contact AskOtago for assistance.
Check steps 3 and 4 of the ExamID — taking a photo for your "baseline" section above and make any necessary changes.
- In Examplify, click Home Menu > Settings.
- Click the Clear Registration button.
- Confirm this by clicking the Clear Registration button again.
- Click OK on the Registration Cleared screen.
- Relaunch Examplify, choose your institution (Otago) and type in your username and password to begin.
If this does not resolve the issue, try the following steps.
- Check that the lighting in your room is sufficient. Turn on a light or increase the brightness on your computer
- If you wear glasses, make sure your lenses do not have a reflection or glare that is obstructing your face
- Confirm that your face is fully visible
- Make sure there are no other people around you that may be interfering with the software validating your identity
If you are still unable to validate after trying these steps, please contact AskOtago for further assistance.