The Examplify application is available for download from the ExamSoft portal:
Log in using your student email address (for example email@example.com) and password.
Can’t find the download?
If you cannot find the file that you have just downloaded, look in the Downloads section of your web browser. The file name will be called
Examplify_X.X.X_win.exe where the Xs represent the version number.
Installation errors may occur if your anti-virus program tries to quarantine the program during the process. Please see the related answers:
Missing .dll error
You may encounter an error message stating that the program cannot be run due to a missing MSVCR100.dll. This message is caused by a Windows component missing on your computer.
To resolve this issue, install the following package from Microsoft's website onto your computer:
Microsoft Support—the latest supported Visual C++ downloads (use the x86 version)
If you receive an error that a newer version of the application is already installed (see below), you will need to uninstall the currently installed version via Programs and features or Add or remove programs.
Virtual machine error
Examplify cannot be used on virtual operating systems such as Microsoft's Virtual Machine, Parallels, VMware, VMware Fusion, or any other virtual environments.
If you are sure that your device is not running in a virtual environment and you are receiving a "virtual machine" error, make sure that Hyper-V is not enabled on your computer:
- Click the Start or Windows button on the bottom left of your screen.
hyper-vand click Enter.
- Find the Hyper-V folder in the Windows Features window and clear the checkbox to disable this feature.
- Restart your computer.
If Hyper-V is disabled or not listed as a Windows feature and you are still receiving a virtual machine error, try the troubleshooting steps below:
- Uninstall Examplify (see related answer Uninstalling and reinstalling Examplify).
- Click the Start button, type
servicesand click Enter.
- Locate the Windows Management Instrumentation service and click Stop to stop the service.
- Open File Explorer and enter the following text into the address bar:
- Rename the Repository folder to
- Restart your computer then install and launch Examplify.
If the issue persists, contact AskOtago for further assistance:
Examplify reinstalls the update repeatedly
The Examplify update process should trigger a full restart of your machine at the end of the update process. If the application keeps prompting you to update and has not restarted, shut it down, then start it up again and go back into Examplify. This should resolve the issue.
Service not connected error
In certain circumstances, you may get this error when starting Examplify saying that the application's service is unavailable:
To resolve the issue:
- Go to the Services console on your computer by clicking the Start button (or use the search box on the lower left of your screen), typing
servicesthen clicking Enter.
- Start the Examplify Service: In the Services application, find the item named ExamplifyService. Double-click this and it will open a new window.
- Ensure that Startup type is set to Automatic. Click the Apply button. Click Start to start the service manually then click OK.
If the service is not listed, or you receive an error when attempting to start the service, you will need to reinstall Examplify and check your anti-virus settings to remove it from the quarantine. It is also recommended that you create an exclusion in your anti-virus software for the following folder path:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Examsoft\Examplify\Services
Examplify will not start (Mac)
If you open Examplify (from the Dock or by directly opening the application) and it bounces for a few moments but does not respond any further, the application has most likely been moved from the Applications folder. To resolve this, simply click and drag the application back into the Applications folder.
To create an alias (shortcut):
- Right-click the app and select Create alias.
- Drag the alias to the desktop or move to the Dock.
If Examplify is in your Applications folder but the issue persists, you may need to perform the following permissions fix:
- Go to the
- Right-click the Examplify folder and select Get info. A new window will appear. This is where you change the permissions to the folder.
- Look for the Sharing & Permissions settings at the bottom of the window, then click the lock on the bottom right to make changes.
- Select the plus sign (+) then add your user or account, also make sure it has Read & Write privileges.
- Click the gear icon and choose the option to Apply to all enclosed items.
Screen resolution doesn't meet requirements
If you continue to experience difficulties, please contact AskOtago immediately for further assistance: