First visit to Student Health

During your initial visit to Student Health you'll need to complete a questionnaire about your medical history and an enrolment form. You can download the enrolment form to complete and bring with you to your first appointment:

Student Health Services Enrolment Form (PDF 1.1MB)

As a student you should be eligible to apply for a Community Services Card as this will give you access to cheaper medical care. If you already have a Community Services Card, bring it with you to your first appointment. Once it's in the Student Health system it will remain active until it expires at which point you will need to advise of your new card number.

Work and Income—Community Services Card

Health Declaration for Special Consideration in Final Examinations

For all Special Consideration applications you'll need a Health Declaration. If it's possible, you are encouraged to attend Student Health on the day of your illness as it's difficult to retrospectively provide support for your application.

Further information

Special Consideration in Final Examinations

Emergency help

In a medical or mental health emergency, dial 111 for an ambulance or or proceed directly to the Emergency Department of your nearest hospital. Dunedin Hospital is located at 201 Great King Street:

Southern DHB Emergency Department—Dunedin Hospital
Dunedin Urgent Doctors

If you need advice about your symptoms, call Healthline on 0800 611 116. Healthline is a free, 24 hour a day telephone health advice service:

Ministry of Health—Healthline

For mental health-related advice, call or text 1737 free of charge 24/7.

Top of page

Medical records and Student Health

All health care records are stored on the Student Health patient management database (Medtech). This includes GP, nurse, counselling, psychiatry, and all health information sent to Student Health from hospitals and private specialists.

Only Student Health staff involved in your care will have access to your file. University staff outside of Student Health do not have access to your information without your written signed consent.

You'll need to complete an enrolment form to enable Student Health to provide you with a full range of primary health care services, and to obtain your consent to share your health information with external providers that are involved in your health care. e.g. hospital specialists and emergency department.

To transfer your existing health records to Student Health, you can complete an Authority to obtain health records form. You may be asked to do this by your Student Health doctor as it enables them to obtain a full copy of your records from your previous health providers to ensure continuity of your treatment and care:

Authority to obtain health records (PDF 193KB)

When you leave Student Health and sign up with a new GP, they will request permission to get your records from Student Health. If you're returning to your previous GP please advise them that you have been seen at Student Health.

Top of page

Sickness or accident after hours/weekend

If you need to be seen after hours for non-urgent care, please go to:

Dunedin Urgent Doctors and Accident Care
18 Filleul Street

Tel +64 3 479 2900

This service is available from 8am–10pm, 7 days a week (higher consultation charges apply).

Top of page

Student Health Services

Student Health provide comprehensive health care services to University of Otago students. They have a team of health professionals including doctors (general practitioners/GPs), nurses, and mental health clinicians available to look after your wellbeing. To make an urgent or routine appointment, phone 0800 479 821. Student Health appointments are generally 15 minutes in duration but if you need a longer appointment, please request this when you book.

Student Health

All students who pay the University of Otago Student Services Fee can use Student Health Services. If you are not sure whether you are eligible (for example, if you are employed by the University or are visiting from another university) check the Student Health website:

Who can use Student Health?

Top of page

Types of appointments

For a repeat prescription you'll need to make an appointment with one of the doctors at Student Health. Repeat prescriptions are not available by phone or email.

If you're on long-term, regular medications you may be able to get future repeat prescriptions without seeing a doctor. An initial doctor's appointment will need to be made to discuss if you're eligible.

Making an appointment at Student Health

The nurses at Student Health are able to provide prescriptions for contraceptive and asthma medications, as long as you've been assessed by a doctor at Student Health in the preceding 12 months. See the full list of what a nurse can help with:

Student Health Nurse Appointments (PDF 585KB)

Top of page

Last updated 17/06/2022 03.04 PM

Did this answer your question?