Download these instructions as a PDF file:
Students of the University of Otago are entitled to five Microsoft 365 licences for their personal devices. This means you can use Microsoft 365 on your own computers and devices free of charge while you are studying.
Once you've completed the course enrolment declaration and have received your student email address you will be able to download and install Microsoft 365 on up to five of your personal devices.
Installing Office/Microsoft 365 on your own computer
- Log in to your StudentMail
- Ensure that your browser window is expanded or in full screen mode or the Office 365 button will not be visible.
- Click on the grid icon in the top left-hand side of the screen, then select Office 365 on the right of the column.
- Select Install Office.
- Choose Office 365 apps which will install the entire Office suite.
- Follow the prompts to save and install the software.
- Activate your Microsoft 365 by signing in with your student email address (e.g. email@example.com) and password.
Installing Microsoft 365 on your phone or tablet
- You can install Microsoft apps on your Apple or Android phone or tablet
- Windows devices come with Microsoft 365 already installed
You can either install Microsoft Office (includes: Word, Excel, Powerpoint, as well as a document viewer) or each of the listed programs as seperate apps. This is mostly a matter of preference. Apps available for devices include:
- Microsoft Teams
Go to the appropriate app store for your device and search for Microsoft 365. Choose the apps you want from the list of search results.
After downloading the app, use your student email and password to sign in to the app. This will ensure you get the full version of Microsoft 365 in accordance with the University's license.
If you need help with installing Microsoft 365, contact AskOtago Student IT Services in person at the AskOtago Central Hub, Dunedin campus, or: