The University of Otago Library uses an EZproxy server to provide access to web-based licenced databases. When you go to the Library catalogue, search the databases, and click on an URL to access an electronic resource.
- Generally if you are using a computer on the University network, you will bypass the EZproxy server and be able to access your E-resource direct.
- If your IP address is considered a "remote user" you will be prompted to log into EZproxy using your University of Otago username and password. Remote users include:
- Some computers on the University network
- All off-campus computers, whether or not they are connected via VPN
- People using the Staff or Student Virtual Desktops
If your external username has been set up to access Library E-resources you can also use this to log in. Once you have been authenticated on the EZproxy server, you will remain authenticated until you close your browser.
Otago Polytechnic students
As an Otago Polytechnic student you can access Otago Polytechnic e-resources using EZproxy. Use your Otago Polytechnic username and password to log into the Library catalogue, databases, My Library Account, and to access the Library’s interloan service.
Access to Google Scholar from off-campus
You can use Google Scholar off-campus but appear to be on-campus so that full-text articles are available:
University of Otago authenticated access to Google Scholar
Occasionally, the University's use of Google Scholar breaches their limit for acceptable/expected use. When attempting to search Google Scholar after accessing it via the University of Otago Library website, you might get an error message relating to "unusual traffic on your computer network".
While the University waits to be cleared, you may wish to use the following links as workarounds:
If you have any queries about Library electronic resources (databases, e-journals or e-books), contact Library staff:
Tel +64 3 479 8910 (Mon - Fri 8:30 - 5:00)