If you are an international student and you want to return to your home country for a semester or a year:

If you are a sponsored student or a New Zealand Scholarship student, you must contact your designated International Student Adviser before you make any decisions.

All other international students can return home for a short time, but you should speak to a member of the Student Visa Services team at the International Office before you leave.

When you're ready to come back to study, you will need to apply for another programme under Programmes and Papers in eVision. Once your programme is approved, you can add your papers in eVision, then email student.visa@otago.ac.nz to request a confirmation of enrolment letter.

You will need to apply for your student visa to return to New Zealand directly through Immigration New Zealand.

New Zealand Immigration—Study in New Zealand

Needing to return home at short notice

If you are an international student and you need to return to your home country suddenly (for example, because of a family emergency), contact an International Student Adviser by emailing international.support@otago.ac.nz

They will help contact your departments, the Examinations team in Student Administration, and your insurance provider if necessary.

Last updated 08/09/2021 10.31 AM

Did this answer your question?