To send a file to someone using the University of Otago's Mail Express File Drop service:
- Go to the Mail Express File Drop page and click on File send/pickup (Otago)
- Log in using your University staff or student username and password.
- Enter the email address of the person you want to send the file to. You can send the file to multiple people at once. Separate each email address with a comma.
- Enter the subject details for the email message (required).
- Upload your file or files:
- If your file or files are less than 4GB in total, upload it/them by clicking the Browse button.
- For files bigger than 4GB and you are using Internet Explorer, you can use the Send Files with Java Upload Manager option (you may be prompted to install Java on your computer). If you want to send files larger than 4GB and are using a Mac, please contact AskOtago for advice:
Freephone 0800 80 80 98 (within New Zealand)
Tel +64 3 479 7000
- Enter text for the email message that will be sent to the recipients (required).
- Click on the +sign link next to Message delivery options to choose your options. The default expiry time for your files is one week (7 days) but you can choose a shorter period if required. See the related answer for more about expiry options:
- Click on Send to send the email with a link to the file/s to the recipient/s.
For more information about the number and types of files you can send via Mail Express File Drop, see the related answer:
The recipient needs to click on the link/s in the email they receive to download the file/s. If you have used the Require password to download and upload files option, you will need to contact the recipient/s with the password details separately.
Once you have sent your file, you can click on the "Receive a copy of the receipt via email" link on the Send Receipt page which will generate an email to confirm that the file has been sent successfully.
If you are logged in through the Otago portal and want to be advised when your file is accessed, click on the Show Message Options check box when you are preparing to send your file, and click on the "Notify me when files are picked up" box.
If you are logged in through the External User portal, you can click on the Show Message Options check box and click on the "Send me a copy" option to email yourself a copy of what you have sent.