Blackboard is a web-based learning environment used at Otago. Lecturers use Blackboard in many ways, but the main purpose is to provide course material and to support interaction between students and lecturers.
Not all papers at Otago are taught with Blackboard; some use Oceanbrowser or Moodle. There is no charge for departments or students to use Blackboard.
You can log in to Blackboard using your University username and password, which you will receive once you have completed your course enrolment and declaration. However your paper/s may not be available until the first day of the semester. If you do not have any papers currently available, you will receive an error message when trying to log in stating that your username or password is incorrect.
Unable to log in to blackboard
You need to have completed the course enrolment declaration, as part of the enrolment process, before you can have full access to student services or resources like Blackboard. You can check this information through your eVision portal:
Otherwise, being unable to log in to Blackboard usually involves one of two common errors:
- You receive a message saying Could not log in. Valid authentication credentials were not provided. This can mean that:
- None of the papers you're enrolled in use Blackboard
- The semester hasn't started yet (you will have access to Blackboard a week before the semester begins)
- Your username and/or password is incorrect—if you need assistance with your username/password contact AskOtago:
Freephone 0800 80 80 98 (within New Zealand)
Tel +64 3 479 7000
- You see a message saying Browser Cookies Disabled. If you get this error message, please check your Cookie and Security settings in your browser. To log in to Blackboard you will need to enable cookies in your browser:
Enabling Cookies in Browser
Get help with using Blackboard
- Search AskOtago for Blackboard answers, or
- Contact AskStudent IT:
Tel +64 3 479 5170
Web Message on Facebook, or
- Talk to a AskStudent IT Adviser in the University's Central Library on the Dunedin campus
If you are a staff member needing help with Blackboard, contact AskOtago: