If you’re new to printing at Otago, follow the steps below:
Step 1: Get your student ID card
If you haven't already got your student ID card, you should do that right away. Along with all the other benefits you get from your ID card, it enables you to log in to the printers faster by simply tapping your ID card on the card reader of the printer. Check the Student Services ID Card page for information on how and where to get yours:
Step 2: Register your ID Card with the printers
The first time you use your student ID card with the printing system, you will need to register the card. This enables the printer to link your card to your student printing account.
Registration happens automatically the first time you log in to a printer using your ID card:
- Tap your current student ID card against the card reader.
- Touch a box on the touchscreen to bring up the on-screen keyboard and enter your student username and password.
- Touch Login on the screen. It may take a short while because you are logging in for the first time.
- If it doesn’t log you in, try again; it can be easy to make a mistake when using the touchscreen.
- Log out and test that your registration was successful by tapping your card against the reader again. You should be logged in without needing to type in your details.
Remember to log out after registering and after any printing, copying or scanning.
Step 3: Load printing funds onto your ID card
Once you have registered your card, you will need to add money to your printing account using the online top-up system. Printing and photocopying incurs a charge but scanning is free.
Step 4: Send a print job to the printer
You are now ready to send your document to the printer. You can print directly from the Student Desktop or your own computer or device. You don't even have to be on campus to send your print jobs!
You don't pay for your print job until you pick it up from the printer.
- Printing from Student Desktop/Staff Desktop
- Printing from your own device using @Print
- Printing outside the Dunedin campus
Step 5: Release your print job for printing at any printer
You can use any Uniprintstation printer to print out your print job. These printers can be found in student computer labs and libraries — look for the Uniprintstation label shown below.
These printers can also be used to scan and photocopy.
Your print job will disappear from the queue after 10 hours, so make sure you print it out before then.
Please contact AskStudent IT if you need help with printing. You can speak to an AskStudent IT Representative in person at the AskOtago Central Hub on the Dunedin campus, or:
If you need more advanced printing options than the Uniprintstation printers can offer — such as posters, binding, lamination, thesis printing, and many other services — Uniprint can help: