Private rented accommodation

If you are an international student over 18, you can choose your own private accommodation. Many international and domestic students in their second year and beyond live in private housing and have a positive experience, but you will need to consider costs and agreements carefully.

Many private houses or flats are unfurnished so you may need to buy everything for your house/flat, which might be difficult and expensive if you are only staying for a short period. Students also risk renting poorly-maintained accommodation. If you want to live in private accommodation, make sure you inspect it thoroughly and obtain advice from OUSA before signing a lease. Ensure that you are fully aware of your rights and your obligations, as these may vary greatly from your home country.

University Flats

If you're a Study Abroad student, we recommend University Flats/Uni Flats to avoid getting locked into a long contract, however you should check with your Study Abroad provider first.

University Flats

Under 18

If you're under 18 you can only stay in specific kinds of accommodation as per the Code of Practice for Pastoral Care of International Students. Please see the list on the International Office website:

International—Information for under 18 international students
The Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice 2016 (including Amendments 2019)

Further information

Future students—Where can I live?

Last updated 18/10/2021 01.21 PM

Did this answer your question?