A Certificate of Proficiency (COP) is a term that covers a type of enrolment and is not a formal academic qualification. It is used to describe a paper which is not being credited towards a particular qualification e.g.
- an additional paper surplus to degree requirements, or
- a paper being repeated in the hope of gaining a higher grade, or
- a paper being taken to complete a degree at another institution
The COP is approved by StudyLink for student loans or allowances as long as you meet their criteria.
You can apply to enrol in 2 types of COP:
- Certificate of Proficiency - General Otago: For the general study of papers at Otago which are additional to the requirements of your degree or diploma.
- Certificate of Proficiency - Other NZ university: For students intending to credit their Otago study to another university in New Zealand.