Due to large student numbers, some lab and lecture streams for Health Science First Year (HSFY) papers (BIOC192, HUBS192, and POPH192) can be very full. This will vary by paper and type of stream, but in some cases the space constraints require us to restrict timetable changes to the students most in need.

Some information about lecture and lab streams is on the Health Sciences First Year website:


Under what circumstances can I obtain a permanent streaming change?

You can apply for a permanent streaming change if the reason you cannot make your lecture or lab stream is due to significant events that are outside your control and will last for all or most of Semester 2. If you have childcare obligations, paid employment, or will be/have been medically incapacitated then you can apply for a permanent streaming change. If you belong to a social club which meets on the same evening as your lab, you will not be able to apply for a permanent streaming change at this time. In addition to demonstrating that you need a streaming change you will need to demonstrate that your reason applies for the whole semester.

Each application for a streaming change will be judged on its own merit. Any documentation you do have to support your case will be helpful.

Applying for a permanent streaming change - where and when can I apply?

Permanent: During Tuesday to Thursday in the first week of semester (13 – 15 July 2021), Health Sciences will have staff for all the HSFY papers gathered in one place so you can find someone to help. You will be asked to fill out a Permanent stream change application form for each paper you have a timetable issue with. Staff will then determine if your request can be granted and help you get the changes completed in eVision.

Location: South Lab, Physics Department Ground Floor, (opposite the entrance to the Science Library).

Times: Tuesday 13 to Thursday 15 July, 11am – 1pm

As class numbers are still slightly uncertain during the first few weeks, priority will be given to the more needy cases. If you are turned down at this time, there may be an opportunity to re-apply for a change after class numbers have stabilised.

From Friday 16 July students will need to go to the offices of each paper (see map below for locations):

  • BIOC192: BIOC192 office (Room 132) on the First Floor of the Microbiology Building
  • HUBS192: HUBS office on the Ground Floor of the Microbiology Building
  • POPH192: email request to poph192@otago.ac.nz

Map of location for HSFY departments

What kind of evidence do I need to produce?

It will depend on your reasons for obtaining a streaming change. Any documentation you provide should be produced by a third party that is involved with the reason for your streaming change (i.e. an employer or doctor) and clearly state the times and dates that you cannot attend lectures or labs. The documentation should also include contact details.

Last updated 01/07/2021 08.47 AM

Did this answer your question?