Installing software on your University computer usually means you need to have administrator access rights. However if you have a domain-joined computer (this is a computer that you log into with your University username and password) you can use the Software Center (Windows) or Software Centre (Mac) to install some commonly used software, without needing administrator credentials.
Depending on when your computer was last on campus, you may not see all of the applications that have been made available, as this updates each time you connect to the University network. Within the Software Center/Centre, you can search for a particular piece of software, or use the menu on the left to browse through the applications available.
- Click the Search icon (beside the Windows button) and search for software center (note American spelling).
- Click on Software Center.
- Log in using your University credentials.
- Find the software application you want to install using the search bar at the top, or the menu on the left.
- Double-click on the application you need to install and follow the prompts.
- Click on the Spotlight icon (magnifying glass in the top right of your screen) and search for software centre
- Double click it to open it.
Log in using your University credentials.
Find the software application you want to install using the search bar at the top, or the menu on the left.
Double-click on the application you need to install and follow the prompts.
Please note that not everybody will have these options available - if you can't find a suitable application or if you're not sure which application to use, please contact AskOtago:
Tel+64 3 479 7000 or 0800 80 80 98