If you need to add your signature to PDF documents, you can create and add an electronic signature as follows:
Adobe Acrobat Reader DC
- Check if you have Adobe Acrobat Reader DC installed on your computer. If not, download and install the free version:
- Adobe Acrobat Reader DC [opens in a new window]
Please ensure that you untick the boxes for "Yes, install the free McAfee Security Scan Plus..." and "Yes, install McAfee Safe Connect..." This is because McAfee is not an anti-virus program recommended by the University.
For more information see the related answer Installing and using anti-virus software
- Open the file that you need to "sign" in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.
- Click the Fill & Sign button on the right hand side. This will make the Fill & Sign toolbar appear at the top of the window.
- Click on Sign on the toolbar, then Add Signature.
- Choose the method you would like to set up your signature:
- Type - type your name and it is converted to a signature automatically (however, this won’t look like your normal signature)
- Draw - use a mouse or touchscreen to draw your signature
- Image - write your signature on a piece of paper and scan/photograph it to have it converted into a signature
- Position your signature where you would like it on the line and then click Apply to save the signature.
- When you need to sign a document, you can click the Sign button at the top of the page, you will now see the signature you created previously and you can add it into the document that needs to be signed.
- Open the PDF file in Preview.
- Click on the Markup menu. The button has a toolbox icon on it.
- Once the Markup Toolbar is open, click the Sign button. Look for the icon that resembles a signature.
- Choose the method you would like to use to set up your signature:
- Trackpad - use a mouse, trackpad, tablet, or pen to draw your signature. Click Done once you are satisfied with your signature.
- Camera - take a blank piece of white paper and sign it. Hold this up to your webcam and line up your signature with the blue line. Once it’s lined up, click Done to capture your signature.
- Now, when you click the Sign button you should be able to add your signature to a document.
Some PDFs may be "locked" against the ability to be signed. If you have been provided a file for signing but the options above are not available, contact the person that provided the file in the first instance.