Due to large student numbers, some lab and lecture streams for Health Science First Year (HSFY) papers (CELS191, CHEM191, PHSI191, and HUBS191) can be very full. This will vary by paper and type of stream, but in some cases the space constraints require us to restrict timetable changes to the students most in need.

Some information about lecture and lab streams is on the Health Sciences First Year website:


Under what circumstances can I obtain a permanent streaming change?

You can apply for a permanent streaming change if the reason you cannot make your lecture or lab stream is due to significant events that are outside your control and will last for all or most of semester 1. If you have childcare obligations, paid employment, or will be/have been medically incapacitated then you can apply for a permanent streaming change. If you belong to a social club which meets on the same evening as your lab, you will not be able to apply for a permanent streaming change at this time. In addition to demonstrating that you need a streaming change you will need to demonstrate that your reason applies for the whole semester.

Some examples of acceptable reasons for permanent lab streaming change are:

  • Medical issues
  • National or regional-level representative sports
  • Paid work
  • Parenting/care obligations
  • Timetable clash

If your situation does not correspond to an example listed here but you still feel that you qualify for a streaming change, you can ask. Each application for a streaming change will be judged on its own merit. Any documentation you have to support your case will be helpful.

Applying for a permanent streaming change—where and when can I apply?

Permanent: Ideally permanent streaming changes will be completed during the first week of semester (Monday 28 February–Friday 4 March). You will be asked to fill out a Streaming Change Application Form (see link below) for each paper you have a timetable issue with, and staff will determine if your request can be granted and help you get the changes completed in eVision.

In the first instance, the Streaming Change Application form should be emailed or a hard copy delivered to the following addresses for each paper. If you need to talk to a staff member for any reason, including if your clash affects more than one of the papers, please make an appointment with one of the people below. Please note, we will endeavor where possible to help solve any cross-paper clashes during your appointment. You do not need to make an appointment with each paper, unless directed by staff. A decision will be emailed to your University email address.

If you want to make a late addition/change of course for your HSFY papers, please email the appropriate email address below:

As class numbers are still slightly uncertain during the first few weeks, priority will be given to the more needy cases. If you are turned down at this time, there may be an opportunity to re-apply for a change after class numbers have stabilised.

Temporary: one-off changes can be made by the staff for the individual papers. These should only be made if you are unwell or there is a significant reason requiring you to reschedule:

What kind of evidence do I need to produce?

It will depend on your reasons for obtaining a streaming change. Any documentation you provide should be produced by a third party that is involved with the reason for your streaming change (i.e. an employer or doctor) and clearly state the times and dates that you cannot attend lectures or labs. The documentation should also include contact details.

Permanent streaming changes 2022 (PDF 528KB) includes map of office locations
Permanent stream change application form (Editable PDF 53KB)

Last updated 22/02/2022 10.38 AM

Did this answer your question?