It is very important to regularly save and back up your files in more than one place. However, you can occasionally find yourself in a position where you've lost a file and you need to get it back.
If you have lost a file, make sure you keep your computer turned on. This is an important step for effectively recovering a file.
- Check that the file is not in your Recycle Bin or Trash.
- Check your list of recently opened documents.
If your file was written in Microsoft Word, Excel, or PowerPoint:
- Open the corresponding editor.
- Choose Open or Open Other Documents.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Recover Unsaved Documents.
Still no luck?
If you haven't managed to locate your file, there is still a chance AskStudent IT can recover it for you. Keep your computer turned on until you can bring it to the AskStudent IT desk in the Central Library.
If you are unable to come in, or are based off-campus, feel free to contact us and we will do our best to walk you through our file recovery process: