Storing your files correctly and safely should be a priority for all students. AskOtago Student IT recommends:
- Storing files you are currently working on into the H:\ Drive documents folder on the Student Desktop
- Storing files that you wish to back up, or archiving old files you are no longer working on, into your OneDrive
About H:\ Drive
H:\ Drive is a storage area specific to your Student Desktop. This means that no matter where you log in to your Student Desktop, the files will always be the same. This is handy if you like to work on more than one machine.
H:\ Drive features:
- 3GB of data storage. This can be increased to 5GB in exceptional circumstances
- Accessible only through the Student Desktop
- Fast to access, so good to use for documents you are currently working on.
- Hosted by the University of Otago
To get to your H:\ Drive click the File Explorer icon in the toolbar at the bottom of your Student Desktop:
In the File Explorer window, go to the drive named after your student username which has H: in brackets at the end:
Once you are in your H:\ Drive you might notice a number of folders that were not created by you. Do not delete these folders. These are required by the system. However, feel free to create as many new folders as you wish. The better you organise your file system, the easier it is to find things.
See the related answer for more information about OneDrive: