Your Student Desktop H:\ Drive only has a limited amount of storage space, so you should store extra files on your University of Otago OneDrive. We recommend you keep files you are currently working on in your H:\ Drive, then transfer them to your OneDrive for storage.
Another advantage to your OneDrive is that although you can access the Student Desktop from anywhere on any computer, you can access your OneDrive through your StudentMail without needing to log in to the Student Desktop at all. You can even edit files within OneDrive, without having to download them, using Office 365 Online.
Accessing OneDrive from Student Desktop
Although your OneDrive files are stored online in the cloud, you can access them from the Student Desktop just like any other folder:
- Make sure you are fully logged in before accessing your OneDrive. If you get an error message or there is a red cross over your OneDrive icon, wait a few more moments
- Open any folder and click on the OneDrive icon in the side pane
- You can now see any files you have stored in your OneDrive. Use the OneDrive folders in the normal way, for example you can move files into your OneDrive using copy and paste, or drag and drop
Saving and Opening files within a program
If you would like to save or open files using your OneDrive within a program such as Microsoft Word, use the folder OneDrive – University of Otago as demonstrated below.
- In Word, choose to Save, Save As, or Open your document as normal
- Double-click on OneDrive – University of Otago
- You can also single-click OneDrive – University of Otago then click Browse
- The window that opens is your OneDrive and you can save or open a file as normal
Accessing OneDrive from your StudentMail
- Log in to your StudentMail at www.otago.ac.nz/studentmail
- Click on the small squares icon in the top left corner of the screen and choose OneDrive from the menu
- You can now view and use all the files stored in your OneDrive
Open, upload, or create files online
From the online OneDrive, you can open, upload, or create new files using the menu bar at the top of the screen. If you open or create a new file, it will open directly in your web browser using Office 365 Online.
Download a file online
To download a file you have stored in your OneDrive so you can use it offline or on your own computer
- Select the file with a single click
- Click Download in the menu at the top of the screen
- The file will download to your downloads folder, or you will be asked whether to open or save the file.