Office 365 Online is a lightweight, browser-based office suite that includes all the familiar Office software. You can access it from any computer without a local copy of Office needing to be installed. All files are saved to your OneDrive, where you have 1TB of free online storage included with your University account. Office 365 Online gives you the ability to work as a group on a single document, share notes with your peers, and schedule tasks and calendar events.
You can access Office 365 Online in two ways:
- Go to the main Office 365 website and sign in using your University of Otago student email address and password:
Office 365 Login
- Sign in to your StudentMail account and click on the Office 365 button in the top left hand corner. This will take you to the main page of Office 365 Online
Creating a new document
- Open the Office 365 application you wish to use from the menu
- Select the document type and the Office editor will open
Saving your document
- Click File, then Save As
- You will be presented with a number of options. Choose Save As
- Name the file and click Save. The file is saved into your OneDrive.
Finding and organising files
- All your files are saved into your OneDrive while you are working online. To access these, simply click the menu button in the top left-hand corner and select OneDrive
- Here you will see any files you have saved, and any folders you might have created
- To create a folder or file click the New button
- Any file can be dragged into a folder, just like in the desktop version. Clicking on a file will open up the file in the correct application for editing.