As a student, your primary identifier for IT purposes is your University of Otago username. This username (which also forms the basis of your StudentMail email address) is created automatically for you when your first enrol as a student at the University of Otago. It is a combination of the first three letters of your last name and the first two letters of your first name, followed by three random numbers. For example: James Bond's username might be bonja007.
Your Otago username and password allows you to access all the services you are entitled to as well as online resources while you are studying, such as:
- Student Desktop
- Microsoft 365
- Wi-Fi access
- Library resources
Your username (as well as your University email address) is printed on your student ID card:
After course declaration you will be sent an email containing your new username. You will be directed to complete the following steps:
- Log in to eVision using your personal email and password.
- Click the alert on the front page. You will be required to enter your mobile phone number.
- Wait for a text that contains your temporary password.
- Log in to eVision using your username (e.g. bonja007) and temporary password.
- Once you have logged in, change your temporary password by clicking the Change password link.
You can change your password anytime by logging back in to eVision or going to the following link:
If you have forgotten your password, you can reset your password via the Identity Self Service console:
For help creating a strong password please see the related answer: