Download these instructions as a PDF file:
Installing Office 365 on your own computer
- Log in to your StudentMail
- Ensure that your browser window is expanded or in full screen mode or the Office 365 button will not be visible.
- Click on the grid icon in the top left-hand side of the screen, then select Office 365 on the right of the column.
Select Install Office.
Choose Office 365 apps which will install the entire Office suite.
- Follow the prompts to save and install the software.
- Activate your Office 365 by signing in with your student email address (e.g. email@example.com) and password.
Installing Office 365 on your phone or tablet
- You can install Office apps on your Apple or Android phone or tablet
- Windows devices come with Office already installed
- If you have a version of Android prior to 4.4, please see the section below
Each of the listed programs is a separate app so you will need to download and install each one separately. However this means that you don't have apps you don't want taking up extra space on your device. Apps available for devices include:
The two ways you can get Office 365 for your phone or tablet are shown below. After downloading the app, use your student email and password to sign in to the app. This will ensure you get the full version of Office 365 in accordance with the University's license.
Method 1: Search the store
Go to the appropriate app store for your device and search for Office 365. Choose the apps you want from the list of search results.
Method 2: Get links emailed to you
- Log in to your StudentMail on any computer or device.
- Click on Office 365 in the top right-hand corner.
- Click Other Installations.
- Click Phone & Tablet.
- Choose your device type and click Get App.
- Choose either Send Email or Send SMS and fill in your email address or phone number to have the link sent to you.
Installing Office 365 on Android OS prior to 4.4
If you have a version of Android OS earlier than 4.4, you will need to download the Office Mobile app which contains Word, Excel, and Powerpoint:
- Go to the Google Play Store on your device and search for "Office Mobile".
- Download the app.
- Use your student email address and password to sign in to the app.
If you need help with installing Office 365, contact AskOtago Student IT Services in person at the AskOtago Central Hub, Dunedin campus, or: