"E-waste" (electronic/electrical waste) includes most electrical devices with a circuit board or strong metallic content that are no longer useful. The correct disposal of e-waste is important because this equipment can contain chemicals that are hazardous to the environment, as well as sensitive data that needs to be deleted.
Property Services can collect your e-waste for you at no charge. Please complete the online request form to arrange collection:
You can use this form to have your e-waste collected even if you are not in Dunedin. Arrangements have been made to ensure that e-waste from the University of Otago's other campuses is also disposed of correctly.
Before arranging the collection of your e-waste with Property Services, please:
- remove any items from the Fixed Asset Register
- remove any network registrations for your devices
- remove any asset tags, stickers or branding. The E-waste & E-cycle Centre will attempt to remove anything that is left but this can be time-consuming to do
- provide as much detail as possible in your Property Services collection request, for example: item details, quantity and status (dead, faulty, all working ok, etc.)
- writing notes on equipment explaining their problems is much appreciated, for example: LCD - "dead backlight, lines on the screen", PC - "faulty motherboard, faulty PSU" etc.
All e-waste is delivered by Property Services to the E-waste & E-cycle Centre where it is sorted and assessed for either recycling or disposal. All data is securely erased and hardware is disposed of responsibly.
If you have any questions or for further information, please contact Graham Musgrave at Property Services:
Tel +64 3 470 3427