The purpose of this funding is to allow you to attend and "present" (either a paper or poster) at international conferences. This funding is available only once during your tenure of study.
Each division administers the funding and may have additional guidelines regarding eligibility. You must also provide a report to the division on your return outlining your participation and the benefit this had on your studies.
Some departments may also have additional funding available to assist with extra funding requests.
You must purchase travel insurance through the University when travelling overseas on University business. This can be arranged by completing the online application form on the University website.
Division of Health Sciences
- A maximum of $2000.
- You can apply at any time but must be at least three months before the travel
- You mustn't have exceeded 4.0 EFT years at the time of conference attendance
- If you meet the other eligibility criteria but have already submitted a thesis which is still under examination, you may apply for funding to attend a conference that takes place within six months of the date of the first submission of the thesis
Division of Humanities
- A maximum of $2,500
- If you are not a 100% Humanities student, you will be eligible for a pro rata amount
- It is expected that you will seek the cheapest airfare where practical and stay at budget accommodation
- Conference funding is not available for workshops and collaborative meetings, and normally only one conference per trip is eligible for funding
- The paper being presented must be directly related to your research for the current thesis (but the substance of the paper cannot have already been published or be under review for publication)
- Your paper must be presented at least six months before the PhD is complete (if your thesis has been submitted, no funding will be provided)
Division of Commerce/School of Business
- A maximum of $2500 (to enable all PhD students to present their work at international conferences during the period of study)
- Further conference travel and fieldwork support may be available from your department
Speak to the department manager and your supervisor for further information specific to each department.
Division of Sciences
The Division of Sciences are currently reviewing the PhD conference funding and eligibility and will update information on this page when confirmed. Please contact Division of Sciences Administration for more information: