With the rollout of Microsoft/Office 365, the University is moving to OneDrive as the preferred cloud storage solution. You can find information about OneDrive here:
SyncDrive is a feature of the Syncplicity desktop client that allows you to access your Syncplicity Sync & Share content without having to download your files to your desktop.
ITS recommend that you avoid using SyncDrive if possible, particularly if you share your folders. It can cause a number of issues, for example:
- When you convert a folder to a SyncDrive it is converted for all the people you have shared it with
- Changing a folder to a SyncDrive can cause unsynced changes to be lost
- Depending on each user’s policy the folder might be removed from the participant or may be left behind, potentially causing confusion and unsynchronised changes
- If your shared folder participants have a client that doesn’t support SyncDrive or have disabled SyncDrive, the folder won’t be available to them
You can disable the installation of SyncDrive when you download a new version of the Syncplicity Sync & Share desktop client.
- Download the Syncplicity client for Windows.
- Search Windows for “Run” to get a command line window.
“<file path>\Syncplicity_Setup.exe SYNCPDRIVE=0”
This will run the installation of the Syncplicity client without installing SyncDrive.
SyncDrive can’t be disabled when installing the Syncplicity client on a Mac. Syncplicity suggest installing an older Mac client with no SyncDrive feature, for example Syncplicity 220.127.116.1175