SyncDrive is a feature of the Syncplicity desktop client that allows you to access your Syncplicity Sync & Share content without having to download your files to your desktop.
ITS recommend that you avoid using SyncDrive if possible, particularly if you share your folders. It can cause a number of issues, for example:
- When you convert a folder to a SyncDrive it is converted for all the people you have shared it with.
- Changing a folder to a SyncDrive can cause unsynced changes to be lost.
- Depending on each user’s policy the folder might be removed from the participant or may be left behind, potentially causing confusion and unsynchronised changes.
- If your shared folder participants have a client that doesn’t support SyncDrive or have disabled SyncDrive, the folder won’t be available to them.
You can disable the installation of SyncDrive when you download a new version of the Syncplicity Sync & Share desktop client.
- Download the Syncplicity client for Windows
- Search Windows for “Run” to get a command line window
- Type “<file path>\Syncplicity_Setup.exe SYNCPDRIVE=0”
This will run the installation of the Syncplicity client without installing SyncDrive.
SyncDrive can’t be disabled when installing the Syncplicity client on a Mac. Syncplicity suggest installing an older Mac client with no SyncDrive feature, for example Syncplicity 188.8.131.5275