You need to change the default character set in your email client to UTF-8 so that macrons will display correctly.
- Click the File tab in the top left corner and select Options on the pull-down menu
- In the Outlook Options window, click the Advanced heading on the left-hand side, then scroll to the International options heading near the bottom
- Check the box labeled Automatically select encoding for outgoing messages and select Unicode (UTF-8) from the drop-down menu
- Check the box labeled Automatically select encoding for outgoing vCards and select Unicode (UTF-8) from the drop-down menu
- Check the box labeled Allow UTF-8 support for the mailto: protocol
- Click OK
Outlook for Mac:
- Go to Preferences > Composing
- Select Preferred Encoding For New Messages: Unicode (UTF-8)
- Open Finder > Applications > Utilities > Terminal
- In the terminal window copy and paste the following command: defaults write com.apple.mail NSPreferredMailCharset "UTF-8"
- Hit Enter
- Restart Mail
If a recipient of your emails that use macrons doesn't have their email set up in the same way, the macrons will not display correctly. If they mention that the email you sent contains strange characters, pass these instructions onto them.
If you are still having a problem viewing macrons or use a different email programme, contact AskOtago:
Tel +64 3 479 7000 or 0800 80 80 98