Remote access from a Mac OS computer to your Mac OS work computer
You can remotely access files on your Mac OS X work computer as follows:
- Enable System Preferences > Sharing > Remote Login on your work computer.
- Switch off any sleep/hibernation settings.
- Establish a secure VPN connection using AnyConnect software installed on the remote computer.
- Use a SSH File Transfer Protocol client software application such as FileZilla to connect to your work computer.
Free VNC servers (programs that allow you to access your desktop remotely) can be used, but many do not encrypt their communications. ITS suggests that you use the following secure channels if you plan to use free VNC servers:
- UO-VPN + VNC, or
- UO-VPN + SSH Tunnel + VNC
Install the software you need and test that you have set everything up correctly well in advance of when you need to use it. There is usually no need for any complex configuration, but both your remote and work computers should have a reasonable level of security.
Remote access from a Mac OS computer to your Windows work computer
Firstly set up your work Windows computer to enable remote connections. You will need to be logged in as an administrator to change these settings, or ask your IT support staff to do it for you. Use the instructions for your work computer's Windows version in the article below:
Installing and configuring the Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client
- On your remote Mac OS computer, go to vpn.staff.otago.ac.nz/
- Log in with your University staff username and password, then download the Cisco AnyConnect VPN client and follow the installation instructions.
- Open AnyConnect, type vpn.staff.otago.ac.nz into the connection box and click the Connect button.
- Enter your University staff username and password at the prompt and click Accept when prompted about the University's VPN Access policies.
- Click the Disconnect button.
- In the connection box use the drop-down menu to choose UO-VPN-STAFF.
- You will now be prompted to enter your password again, click OK and Accept for the policy again. This is to test the new VPN protocol.
- You can now click the Disconnect button.
Microsoft Remote Desktop 10
- Go to the Apple App Store and download the Microsoft Remote Desktop 10 application.
- Open the app and click on the plus sign in the menu bar to add the new remote desktop.
- In Connection name, give your work computer a name you will recognise.
- In PC name add the fully qualified domain name of your Windows work computer.
- Click Add.
You have now finished setting up your remote connection.
Remotely connecting to the University network
Connect with AnyConnect VPN, then click on your work computer's remote connection set up in Microsoft Remote Desktop 10. As the remote desktop connects you will be prompted for your staff username (use the format registry\abcde34p) and password. Click OK to all the other prompts and you will be connected to your Windows work desktop.
Remote access to MacOS from a Windows computer
Unfortunately this is not currently supported.
If you have any questions contact AskOtago:
Tel +64 3 479 7000 or 0800 80 80 98