The StudentMail.GAL (Student Email Global Address List) is an email group that University of Otago staff can choose to join if they would like their name and email address to appear in the student email address list. Staff can use this list to look up students' email addresses in Outlook.
Joining StudentMail.GAL also makes your Exchange Calendar available to students with the same level of privacy as other staff email accounts, so students can view your Free/Busy information (but will not be able to see details of your Calendar appointments).
To add yourself to the StudentMail.GAL (Global Address List):
- Log in to StaffMail using the full version of Outlook Web Access (i.e., make sure the check box for Use the light version of Outlook Web App is not checked).
- Click on the Settings cog at the top right of the page and go down to Options.
- Click on the Groups tab on the left-hand side of the Options window.
- Under Public Groups I Belong To click the Join... button.
- Using the search box at the top, look up StudentMail.GAL (or you can scroll through the list until you find it).
- Double-click the entry to bring up more information about the group.
- Click the Join button.
Finding a student in the StudentMail.GAL
You can find a student’s email address in Outlook if you have added yourself to the StudentMail.GAL group by following these instructions:
- Open Outlook and click on the Address Book link in the top right-hand side of the window.
- In the Address Book window, use the Address Book drop-down menu to find University of Otago Students (towards the bottom of the list).
- Use the Search bar at the top or scroll through the list of students until you find the student you are looking for.
StudentMail uses the "preferred known name" from eVision for listing students. This can sometimes be different to the name used in class lists and other University systems. If you can't find a particular student in the StudentMail.GAL, you can:
- Ask the student if they have another name
- Look up the student’s details in eVision to see their listed names
- Use the advanced search function in Outlook to search for other details which might also let you find out which name the student uses
Contact AskOtago if you still cannot find the student within the StudentMail system:
Tel +64 3 479 7000 or 0800 80 80 98
Students can change their "display name" that shows up in the StudentMail system and occasionally these can be incorrect or inappropriate (e.g. "Mickey Mouse"). Please contact Student and Academic Services if you have concerns about a name you have come across in the StudentMail address book and it will be investigated: