You can create rules to help sort your email in StudentMail/StaffMail. This means that if the email is received from, sent to, or has something particular in the subject, it then automatically gets put into a particular folder, redirects to another email, or is deleted.
To set up a new email rule using Outlook 365:
- Log in to StudentMail at http://www.otago.ac.nz/studentmail or StaffMail at https://outlook.office.com/mail/
- Click on the Settings cog (top right of Mail screen) then View all Outlook settings at the bottom of the pop-out menu.
- Click Mail > Rules.
- Click + Add New Rule, then use the form to choose what emails to apply the rules to and what should happen to those emails.
- Click Save.
Forwarding to other email addresses
Follow the instructions below to set up your StudentMail/StaffMail to forward to another email address.
Setting up email forwarding in StaffMail using Outlook.com
For information security reasons, staff emails should not be forwarded to student email accounts or non-University email accounts.
- Open Outlook.com in your web browser and log in with your University username and password if prompted.
- Select the Settings gear icon in the toolbar, and click on the View all Outlook settings link at the bottom of the pop-out pane.
- In the Settings dialog box, select Mail > Forwarding.
- Select the Enable forwarding checkbox. If you want to stop email forwarding, clear this checkbox.
- Enter the email address that will receive the forwarded email messages.
- To keep copies of the forwarded messages in your Outlook account, select the Keep a copy of forwarded messages check box. Please note that if Keep a copy of forwarded messages is not checked, forwarded mail will not be available in your Outlook account (not even in the Deleted folder), only in the account you are forwarding to.
- Select Save.
POP access is disabled for all StaffMail accounts to prevent mail duplication problems. Redirecting your email using Outlook.com results in an identical outcome to using POP access.
Contact AskOtago if you need more information about this:
Tel +64 3 479 7000 or 0800 80 80 98
Setting up a safe senders list
If you have a Hotmail or related email provider, you will need to set up @otago.ac.nz on your safe senders list or "whitelist" so you can receive forwarded emails and avoid forwarded emails being marked as spam.