Malware is the general term for any malicious or unwanted software or code. Malware includes the following:
- Viruses - programs that attach themselves to your data or software .
- Spyware - tries to get onto your computer without your knowledge and monitor your activities.
- Trojans - similar to a virus but masquerade as something else, such as a game.
- Rootkits - very hard to get rid of infections that modify deep levels of your computer's operating system. They allow malware to attack or infect your computer.
- Worms - programs that multiply once they get onto your computer. They are annoying but not usually deliberately destructive.
- Ad-ware - displays unwanted advertising, for example you might open your browser and an ad will appear instead of your homepage.
- Scareware - uses social engineering techniques to cause shock or anxiety and trick users into purchasing unnecessary products (e.g. fake anti-virus software).