Access to certain websites is restricted under the University of Otago's Internet Usage Policy. This is to ensure that everyone can continue to use the University of Otago's network safely.
If you have tried to access a website that appears to have been blocked by the Internet Traffic Management system, this is probably because:
- It could be potentially harmful to the University of Otago network
- It may contain inappropriate content
Requesting an exemption
If a website is being blocked by the University of Otago's Internet Traffic Management System and you believe it shouldn't be, or you require access to a restricted website or restricted internet material for your research or teaching, you can request an exemption for the website using the form:
You will need to provide the following information:
- The URL of the blocked website (e.g. http://www.otago.ac.nz)
- What it is currently classified as (this information will be on the Internet Traffic Management warning notice you get when you try to access the page)
- The reason for exemption
- How long you require the exemption for
- Authorisation from your head of department or departmental manager
The site classification will be reviewed by the IT Assurance and Cyber Security team (ITACS), which can take up to 24 hours.
Once approval has been granted by ITACS, ITS will action the exemption.
If urgent access is required, please contact AskOtago with the reason for the urgency and the timeframe required:
Tel +64 3 479 7000 or 0800 80 80 98