Your lecturer or tutor may ask you to submit your assignment (essay, report, project, etc.) using Blackboard. If your department provides specific instructions for how to submit an assignment in Blackboard, please use those first, otherwise please follow the general instructions below:
- Log in to Blackboard and click on the paper name for which you're submitting the assignment
- Find the name of the assignment (it will be in one of the content areas - browse through the buttons in the paper menu to find it), then click on the name of the assignment link
- You can either attach a file or use the Submission box to type in (or cut and paste) your assignment. Type relevant comments into the Comments box to make it clear who you are and what assignment file you are submitting
- Click on Browse My Computer to locate the file on your computer and double-click to select it. Tip: keep your file names simple and don't use odd characters (#, !, &, etc.). If you need to submit more than one file for this assignment, repeat this step
- When your assignment is ready to send, click Submit. If you click Save as Draft instead your assignment will not be submitted to your lecturer/tutor. You should see a message at the top of the page: "This assignment is complete. Review the Submission History." If you want to check that everything has gone through okay, click on the name of the assignment link. Look in the Review Submission History to see the file or files you have submitted
- If your lecturer has allowed you to submit your assignment more than once you can start another submission by clicking Start New Submission within the assignment page
The Blackboard website has a video you can watch online showing you how to submit an assignment using Blackboard (requires Flash):
If you have attempted to submit an assignment using Blackboard but forgot to attach the file, the submission will be blank and have a timestamp. Please contact your lecturer as soon as possible to discuss this. They may be willing to open the assignment again for another submission.
You are unable to edit an assignment in Blackboard, you must resubmit the assignment, and not all assignments can be resubmitted.
- If you accidentally uploaded the wrong file when submitting your assignment using Blackboard (for example, an earlier draft or an assignment for another paper), contact your lecturer as soon as possible. They may be willing to open the assignment again for another submission.
- If your lecturer allows you to submit an assignment more than once, you will see a Start New Submission function on the Review Submission History page. You can access this page by clicking the assignment link in your course.
Contact AskOtago if you have any problems submitting your assignment through Blackboard:
Tel +64 3 479 7000 or 0800 80 80 98
To find out whether your assignment in Blackboard has been graded:
- In the Course Menu, click Tools, and then click My Grades
- If your assignment has not been graded, the Grade column contains a symbol indicating its status. Please see the Blackboard Help website for an explanation of the different symbols:
- If your assignment has been submitted and graded, the grade will appear in the Grade column
- To view more detail, click the link to see the assignment's Review Submission History page