All documents giving evidence of name, name change, citizenship, or residency status should be certified (witnessed/notarised) as "true copies" of the original document by a person of suitable authority.

The following may certify documents as true copies of the originals;

  • Justice of the Peace (JP)
  • Court registrar or deputy registrar
  • Notary public
  • Solicitor
  • University of Otago administrative or liaison staff
  • Members of Parliament

These authorities may or may not stamp the document copy as a JP does, but they must give their name as well as their signature, the date, and preferably their contact details.

Documentation can be submitted in-person at one of our campuses. Staff will take a photocopy of any original documents:

If you are required to provide any documents for admission to the University for identity purposes (e.g. certified copy of passport or citizenship certificate) you will be sent an alert through your eVision portal. High quality scans or photos can be uploaded using the link sent to you in the alert.

If you prefer to post the documents to us, please send them to:

Group Leader Student Administration
Student Experience
University of Otago
PO Box 56
Dunedin 9054
New Zealand

If you are posting documents, please send certified copies only. No responsibility can be taken for original documents that are lost or damaged.

Further information

Last updated 12/01/2021 10.25 AM

Did this answer your question?