All documents giving evidence of name, name change, citizenship, or residency status should be certified (witnessed/notarised) as "true copies" of the original document by a person of suitable authority.

The following may certify documents as true copies of the originals;

  • Justice of the Peace (JP)
  • Court registrar or deputy registrar
  • Notary public
  • Solicitor
  • University of Otago administrative or liaison staff
  • Members of Parliament
  • New Zealand Police officers at or above the rank of Sergeant
  • Land Transport New Zealand, Public Trust, or local authority employee authorised in terms of the Oaths and Declarations Act 1957

These authorities may or may not stamp the document copy as a JP does, but they must give their name as well as their signature, the date, and preferably their contact details.

You can also bring original documents to one of our campuses to be witnessed.

Further information

Last updated 13/08/2019 11.45 AM
Did this answer your question?