If you are an international student over 18 you can choose your own private accommodation. Consider costs and agreements carefully. Many international and domestic students in their second year and beyond live in private housing and have a positive experience.

However, if you're a Study Abroad student we recommend using University Flats (Uni Flats) (check with your Studay Abroad provider is applicable) to avoid getting locked into a long contract. Also consider that many private houses are unfurnished so you may need to buy everything for your house, which might be difficult and expensive if you are only staying for a short period.

University Flats

Students also risk renting poorly-maintained houses which can be cold or mouldy. If you want to live in private accommodation, make sure you inspect the house thoroughly before signing a lease. We recommend that you get advice from OUSA before signing a lease to ensure that you are fully aware of your rights and your obligations, as they vary greatly from your home country.

If you're under 18 you can only stay in specific kinds of accommodation as per the Code of Practice for Pastoral Care of International Students. Please see the list on the International Office website.

International - Information for under 18 international students

Further information

Future students - Where can I live?

Last updated 21/04/2020 05.50 PM

Did this answer your question?